Monday, March 20, 2006

call me crazy, but...

I don't think I like texas. Or music festivals. or drunk people. or live music in general?

Let me explain.

DAY ONE.

I arrived in Texas around 5 pm on wednesday evening. I immeadiately went to the hotel to meet up with the other Militia peeps - and we grabbed a bit to eat at "Aussies" across the street. I got a blackened catfish sandwich, which was unsatisfactory in every way. We then made our way into down town Austin for the musical goings-ons of SXSW. The Colour played at 7, but I missed their set. Instead, I went to the Beauty Bar for the Atlantic Records party and caught Say Anything (also unsatisfactory). I met a few booking agents, stood around akwardly, and drummed my fingers on whatever surfaces were available to me.

Then I met up with the Colour and we snuck into see Of Montreal at Emo's in Austin. We weren't really into that either and meandered towards the infamous "Red Bull House" - the Austin Mecca of irresponsible drinking and "networking". Due to poor directions and a general sense of exhaustion, I never made it to the Red Bull House. The Colour were kind enough to take me back to my hotel. This was nearing 2 am. Day 1 ends with no real excitement.

DAY TWO.
I meander out of bed around 10:30. Paul and I set about making arrangements for our Militia Group day party at Latitdue 30. We have to get the gift bags together, and this proves to be much more complicated than I imagined. I was starving, but there was no time for food. We got to the venue, stuffed bags, distributed goodies, and walked quickly about as any party planners do the day of a big event. Rory went and got us Chipotle burritos around 1:30 pm. My stomach was grateful. There is general stress about the guest list for the party, our bands start arriving into town -- but with some Jack Daniels and Amstel Lights, everyone seems to mellow out a bit. David Bazan (yes, Pedro the Lion) proves to be a great DJ and the Cold War Kids come around to say hello.

Then we hop about to a few parties -- I catch the Cold War Kids at the Levis/Fader party, some girl rapper at the IHEARTCOMIX party, and my friends Sub Rosa at the Speakeasy. I grab a sub from Jimmy Jons. It was the worst Tuna I've had. Then, its the Militia Group showcase. DUN DUN DUN. This goes off with out a hitch -- the crowd loves it, the bands love it, The Appleseed Cast and I had a few drinks together, and a good time was had by all. I was left with an overwhelming sense of pride for my label and a love for my job. Once again, my Militia co-workers dissapeared but I made it back to the hotel around 2 am thanks to Fielding.

DAY THREE.
Today, I don't leave the hotel till 1 pm. I grab yet another sub (this time, egg salad. and its still terrible) and wander to the Performing Songwriter Party. BORRRRRING. They had incense burning and some terrible adult contemporary band. I went and caught the Cold War Kids again at the Drink and then I wandered with Paul to the Paste party. This proved to be another adult contemporary party (Over the Rhine and Jamie Cullum were playing) with really bad Nachos. Yes, I know I've complained about the food quite a bit -- but let me tell you people, it was BAD. and I was sorely dissapointed.

I caught the Flatstock exhibit at the convention center, which was quite impressive. It was booth after booth of poster art from every different era/artist/genre - and you could purchase most everything there. I bought a print of Johnny Cash's mug shots from prison - it was pink. Yes, I know, how very Warhol of me.

Then, it was our last and final SXSW event -- our Beauty Bar Party with a performance by Brandtson. I was in charge of the list and the door -- so I sat at the front all night and checked people in. It was fun (sortof). I like being in charge and all that, but I don't like being tied down. Eventually, I left my post and let anyone in our party so I could watch Brandtson. That was pretty awesome of me.

The rest of the night I wandered with various friends in various bands. I made new friends, kindof got asked out (by an attractive male), and finally graced the Red Bull House. It was everything I thought it would be and more -- something akin to a giant frat party but with only music industry geeks. I could only take a half hour of its madness before I retired to my hotel. Once again, I hit the sack around 2 am.

So, that was my week. Maddenning and productive all at the same time. It had its moments. I never had real Texas BBQ, so I suppose I will just have to wait for next year.

6 comments:

Matt Pool said...

Fielding's on Militia? I like them. Sounds like fun. I'm jealous, and want to go next year, or even play. Good words.

KAMN! said...

im so sorry. one way which austin never fails to disappoint is in the food realm. next year maybe we'll come along and make sure you have a way to get to the hallowed eating grounds.

downtown isn't really the best/most atractive part of austin anyway.

Do you remember when I said...

I'm surprised Kamn! didn't bring this up, but Austin has some bitchin' pineapple salsa. He introduced me to it a couple of years ago. Shoulda' put some of that on those nachos, kid. (sigh) I can't hold your hand forever, Two B's. www.nacholibre.com

Do you remember when I said...

Shoot, my link didn't work. Just paste it to you address bar and leave me alone.

KAMN! said...

peach salsa, fool

Do you remember when I said...

oh yeah. sorry... I am a fool.