Monday, April 07, 2008

Notes on Portland life.

Well, I'm a working woman now.
I work in the book world, and while its FAR from glamorous ("event planning" is really something like sending 5 books on medieval ireland to some medieval studies conference) it is challenging and new and different and gives me plenty of time to start my own company on the side.

However, I'm tired all the time. I have to get up before 7 am (gasp!) and I still go out til 2 (most) every night. I'm too social for my own darn good.

I'm seeing Down South Sallie tonight, Drew Grow tomorrow night, and The Avett Brothers on Thursday.

The Bipartisan Cafe is my second home. They have better coffee AND decor than Vientos. And I'm already a regular there. I absolutely love being a regular in as many coffee shops as I possibly can. I have strange goals of being able to walk into any number of coffee shops and have them make my Double 8 oz cappuccino without me even having to say a word. But, when its cold outside I want cappuccinos, and when its hot out I want iced espresso. So I guess that's where it gets tricky. That, or my baristas need to have good memorys and a strong sense of temperature.

I'm reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and I think that Oskar Schell is the best written character since Holden Caulfield.

That's all for now, kids. Talk soon.

1 comment:

mel said...

'extremely loud' is one of my absolute favorite books. the writing, i think, is fantastic. Chris bought me 'everything is illuminated' for my b-day. but unfortunately i haven't quite made it through that one yet.

I'm happy to hear things are becoming a bit more cozy for you in p-land. :) tell your mum and dad hi for me.

mel.