Monday, May 07, 2007

Raw Food Report

So, the raw food diet has been interesting to say the least. After a day or two of munching on carrot sticks and avocados I looked up some raw recipes. Since then I've "cooked" guacamole, Raw Pad Thai, and Red Pepper Gazpacho.

And you know what I've decided?
Its really not even comparable to real food (i.e. cooked food).
Raw pad thai consists of julienned zuccini, bean sprouts, red peppers, olive oil, cashews and lime juice. It tasted FINE but you're hungry within an hour after consumption.

Plus (sorry, gonna be "real" with you right now), the raw food diet and my digestive system just dont really get along. At all. I've done all this for the sake of my body (i.e. my stomach) and what I found out is that my stomach just doesn't like ANYTHING.

So, I'm easing out of the raw diet. I haven't eaten sugar, bread, eggs or dairy since last monday. Sunday I ate organic blue corn chips with my Gazpacho. Yesterday, I had a few more blue corn chips (with leftover Gazpacho for lunch) and for dinner I sauteed some peppers and onions with quinoa and liquid amino acids.

Can I just say that after a week of raw food I felt utterly and totally GUILTY for sauteeing my vegetables last night? it was WEIRD.

And, today I had a veggie wrap from Subway (no cheese). For dinner I made veggie stir fry with Quinoa. Still no meat, sugar, tofu, or dairy in the diet. But I did add coffee back into the mix! I missed it SO much and I kicked it for a week so its OK, right?

I will admit, that on Friday when I went to Taylor's art opening and there was free beer and BBQed hot dogs - I was downright angry. I was tired, I was hungry, and I wanted beer and hot dogs. But NOOOOOOO. I sat and watched the peoples happily consume their food and beverages. I wanted a hot dog,dammit. I was so so so hungry. And I couldn't eat a thing.

But its been a good lesson in self restraint. And its given me a newfound love for fruits and vegetables! I forgot how yummy they are. Most notably: the avocado. How I've grown to love avodcado! On my salad! Plain with a lil salt and pepper! Cubed in my Gazpacho! Sliced in my subway wrap!

Hip hip hooray for avocado!
And hooray for some semblance of cooked food in my life again.
I miss chocolate badly, but that will be back soon.
All in moderation, right?

No comments: