Thursday, May 03, 2007

the great cleanse caper.

I had every intention to start the week with a post about my cleanse endeavor.

I wanted to inform you all about the cleansing adventure I was about to embark upon: The Master Cleanse.

Nothing but lemon juice, maple syrup (Grade B), Cayenne Pepper, and water for 10 days. Count 'em: TEN.

I started the cleanse on Tuesday (Erica, Cameron, and Kelly joined in the cleanse as well). I woke up early to make myself a few batches of the master cleanse potion to last me for the entire day. This entailed squeezing 8 lemons and mixing them with the water, cayenne, and maple syrup and putting it into a large jug for my "convenience".

I made it through the day just fine and Tuesday evening came and I still wasn't hungry. I'd drank my fair share of the lemonade (if you can call it that) and all I'd gotten was the WORST headache imaginable. I know you aren't supposed to take advil on the diet, but after a couple hours of the misery, I gave in.

Then, I went to the Prospector to see my friend Judita play. I was tired, my head hurt, and I should have gone to bed. But I didn't go to bed. Instead, I sat at the Prospector and listened to many arguments as to why the Master Cleanse isn't the healthiest way to go and the negative side effects that it has on your body. Granted, I already wasn't feeling well and I already loathed the cayenne lemonade. The thought of drinking it for nine more days was unbearable.

So, I asked...if THIS isn't good for me, what is?

(**MIND YOU, I had done a lot of research on the Master Cleanse and there are proven benefits of the cleanse. However, with my particular job and lifestyle it does seem somewhat impossible.)

Raw food.
This is what my friend Chris told me. And it makes sense. No preservatives, no sugar, no bread, no processed foods. Nothing cooked. Just raw food.

It makes sense to me. So, I kicked the Master Cleanse after one measly day (though, to my credit I didn't eat ANYTHING for a day and that's pretty good for me) and now I've taken to raw foods.

So far, so good. I have more energy and I am saving money by not going out to eat or drink. I think the hardest thing to give up (hands down) is coffee. I miss it dearly.

The menu thus far:

Weds:
Breakfast - Carrot Sticks
Lunch: Green Peppers, Carrot Sticks, and Raw Almonds.
Dinner: Tomato and Cucumber Salad. Half an Avocado. A smidge of pineapple for dessert.

Thurs:
Breakfast: a Braeburn apple
Lunch: Red peppers, broccoli,carrot sticks, raw cashews.
Snack: Pinapple Cucumber Apple Juice from Mothers. SO GOOD!
Dinner: Guacamole (fresh cilantro, garlic, lime, avocado, tomato and jalepeno) with Carrot sticks.

I've looked up a few raw recipes and am excited to make Raw Pad Thai and Gazpacho soup. If you have any recipes, feel free to share them -- as I am looking to expand my raw food horizons. I am already tiring of carrot sticks. :)

I'm not sure how long I will stick to the raw food diet. Probably until next weekend when I go to Big Bear with Becca. Because I have to eat at Teddy Bears and that's all there is to it. I can already taste the tuna melt with an ortega chile....

(seriously I need to not think about such things)

anyway, I may update from time to time to tell you what I'm eating. Maybe you'll find it interesting. Probably not. But it'll be here.

1 comment:

danielle said...

this is suprisingly interesting. i'm into it. keep me posted.
oh, and i got my phone back so i will give you a ring today.