Thursday, January 03, 2008

BEST & WORST OF 07



Well, here we are in 2008.

I'm not going to lie, 2007 was a rough year; but it had its moments. So I will do my best to compile those moments for you right here...

Here is my random (and rough) list of the best and worst of 2007.

Top 10 albums of 2007.
1) M.I.A - Kala
2) Menomena - Friend and Foe
3) Beirut - The Flying Club Cup
4) Radiohead - In Rainbows
5) Feist - The Reminder
6) Kanye West - Graduation
7) Band of Horses - Cease To Begin
8) Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
9) Lovedrug - Everything Starts Where It Ends
10) Avett Brothers - Emotionalism

Very honorable mentions:
The National - Boxer
Andrew Bird - Heretics
The New Frontiers Tour EP (not counting because its not a full length)

Top 3 songs of 2007 that I'm ashamed to admit that I absolutely LOVE:
"Beautiful Girls" - Sean Kingston
"So Much Love" - The Rocket Summer
"Soulja Boy" - Soulja Boy Tellum


HIGHLIGHTS of 07.
*Started riding my bike to work
Bridge School (TOM WAITS!)
*Went to Uganda! Met Resty (my African daughter)!
*Threw an awesome 3 day party @ SXSW (with Mew and Sondre Lerche and Tilly and the Wall and more).
*All the lovely weddings I was lucky enough to be a part of: Becca and Darren, Myste and Phil, Danielle and Krispin...
*Lots and lots of free shows (thank you, booking agent friends): Beirut, Band of Horses, Arcade Fire, Jesus and Mary Chain, M.I.A., Morrissey.
*I read a lot more books (thank you, McSweeneys).
*I joined a small group, got more involved in the Long Beach community.
*Any and all things "LOL". Specifically, Lol Cats and my own creation and personal favorite, (along with Cameron, Amanda, Dan, and Myste) Lol Lost.

Best invention of 2007: KITTY WIGS!

Best YouTube video of 2007: The Phil Collins Gorilla

Great additions to my life in 2007:
Tim and Eric While I don't actually KNOW them, I feel like I do.
Vientos y Aguas. Best coffee in Long Beach.
Penelope. Best Cat in the world.
All the new people I met & befriended: Kelly, Jess, Will, Mike K., Craig, Yoori, Jackie, my Uganda Team, my small group, and so many more.

Disappointments:
*The new Wilco
*The new White Stripes
*People who steal bikes
*People who drive SUV's and almost run over people on bikes.
*My car getting hit while I was in Africa.
*The further dispersement of the "Triniti" (Becca moved to St. Louis, Linda moved to Portland), and having to say goodbye to Becca and Linda on the same day. I miss them terribly.
*Still broke. Still single.

I'm sure I'm missing a million things from this year, good and bad alike, but you get the idea.

Here's to 08.
Here's to change.
Here's to not having it all figured out at 26, and being strangely ok with that.

3 comments:

ms. tea said...

well said! i am working on my best/worst as we speak.

rebecca said...

i miss you to besty

danielle said...

i love that rocket summer song.
this is a great blog.