Monday, October 31, 2005

3 unrelated tales I feel prompted to tell (part 2)

TWO.

Two Saturdays ago (maybe three), Myste, Kristin and I happened upon an amazing sale at a vintage store. We ended up in the back room of this vintage store for 2 hours, rooting through piles of vintage clothing. Myste and I did most of the rooting while Kristin giggled and took pictures of us perched on top of the mounds.

When we exited the vintage store, we were filthy. Our fingernails were brown, our hands were brown; the residue of aged, unwashed, and unwanted clothing was now covering my body. I wanted to wash my hands immeadiately. We had to drop Kristin off at work (Peet's) so we parked there and went inside to use the restroom.

On the walk back to the restroom, Myste paused for a second to look a a teapot. I waited at the bathroom door for her, keeping it ajar while motioing for her to join me. We only needed to wash our hands -- there was no need to lock the door. As Myste walked into the bathroom, she was followed by a small, elderly, Asian woman. It was a small, single bathroom. There were no stalls, walls, or doors of any kind. I turned to the woman and explained, "Oh, we're just washing our hands. We'll be out of here in a minute." I assumed she would wait for us outside. However, judging by the woman's reaction , I take it that she did not speak English, because she proceeded to continue on into the bathroom.

I again explain that we will be out of the bathroom momentarily. I walk to the sink.

The woman nods at me and proceeds to walk over to the toilet, drop her pants, and use the restroom.

I catch myste's glance in the mirror. I then look down at my hands and concentrate on scrubbing. I try not o look at myste, for fear of bursting into akward and hysterical laughter. We wash our hands briskly (but it seemed like an eternity). The old woman finished her business, stood up, and waited for the sink. Myste and I grab paper towels, made a beeline out of the bathroom, and to a far corner of the store where we feigned interest in the various teas. Anything to avoid eye contact with our new bathroom buddy. She returned to her table and was presumably enjoying her cup of tea when we left the building.

and that was it. a cutural experience, if you will. and a really funny one at that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am sitting in the library at my bible college and laughing out loud (really loud for a librarian) at that story. i can just picture you awkwardly holding back your laughter. classic.

lindsay anne said...

wow, approval from danielle.
I have arrived.

nina said...

one of the greatest joys of my time spent living in china involves the numerous experiences of communal squatty pottys where women all did theiir business together. i never got used to it... your story tops all of those.