Saturday, December 31, 2005

Somali Christmas (my thoughts on the matter)

I think I had almost forgotten the magic of the Somali Bantu. They have this funny way of changing my life.

After a morning of feverish baking (Pumpkin bars for Somali Christmas. They LOVE pumpkin.) I headed over to the Douglas Ranch to play my part in the Somali Christmas. We were giving Christmas dinner (and presents) to 40+ Somalian Refugees who are living in Portland. Danielle works with them on a regular basis, so she's used to the chaos that comes with the Somali clan.

I, however, am not as well-aquainted.
and I got volunteered for van duty. So I drove that 15 passenger van over the the somali apartment complex and picked up 14 Somali childred. FOURTEEN. and they were all under the age of 11.

Before I loaded into the van, Seynab invited us drivers into her home for coffee and a snack. I had already eaten and was quite full. But that matters little to a Somali. So I ate it. I ate the chipatis (fried bread. something akin to Nan) and the chunks of goat liver in oil. YUP. goat. I did my best to eat the goat without them noticing my disgust. It was not good at all.

The rest of the day went by in one delightful blur. There was food, music, dancing and the general akwardness of trying to communicate with 40 people who hardly know your language. And I loved every minute of it. And I tried to dissect what that is. why do I love them so much? to tell you the truth, I am not really sure. But I think they are beautiful - absolutely beautiful and I can see how much Jesus loves them. And I think that is what makes me love them. Even if I do love little Abdulai a little bit more. Is it so wrong to have favorites?

So, nevermind my new year woes.
Really, I have so much to look forward to.

1 comment:

Lo said...

I like you a lot.