Monday, March 10, 2008

CUPCAKES & COASTS



I went on a miniature road trip to the Oregon coast this weekend.

Krispin (my sister Danielle's new hubby) and I drove over to Yachats (pronounced YA-HOTS) early Sunday morning to meet up with Danielle and her best friend, Tiffany. It was a 3 hour drive through weird burnt out Oregon towns (Philomath: home of the Philomath Frolic!) and Krispin listened to a lot of hardcore. I tried to show him Black Mountain but he didn't like it. We did agree on Sufjan, however, so that worked nicely for the rest of the drive.

Needless to say, the coast ruled. We attempted to explore the Sea Lion caves, but then decided against it because it cost $10 to take some crappy elevator down to where the sea lions were. We asked the uptight man (think Dwight Schrute) at the counter if there was any way we could walk to the sea lions and not pay the $10, but he was really insulted that we even asked. Apparently this is THE largest sea cave in the world. Well worth our 10 dollars. But we'll never know, because we didn't go. We just played with creepy seal puppets in the gift shop.

We then decided to tour the Heceta Head Lighthouse . Because that was FREE. and we only like touristy things that are free. I actually stayed outside the lighthouse with Tiffany's yellow lab puppy, Oliver, while Danielle, Krispin and Tiffany toured the lighthouse. I was cornered by a creepy lighthouse volunteer named Greg who wouldn't leave me alone during the TWENTY minute tour. He kept asking me if I had a boyfriend and it was weird. And 20 minutes is way too long for anyone to tour a lighthouse.

Then we ate Huckleberry ice cream. Then I took a plastic cup of wine to the beach and reach my book on the sand. Then we flew killer kites (literally, the kites were trying to kill us.). Then we made rosemary flank steak and drank champagne and played Scrabble and Apples to Apples and watched 30 rock. Then I fell asleep on the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on and woke up to the sounds of the ocean outside my window.

And, to top it all off I went to breakfast at Lil Sambos in Lincoln City, OR this morning and had Coconut Pancakes.

annnnnnnnnd, as if that wasn't enough...tonight we celebrated Danielle's birthday at home (my parents place). My dad grilled steaks and we had Lemon-buttered asparagus, mashed potatoes, and wine. And for dessert I made all organic Lemon Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting and pink sparkle sugar sprinkles.

Best. Cupcakes. Ever.

So this post is a lot about food, I realize. I've been watching too much 30 Rock and have become Tina Fey, I think.

Good news: I have like 3 job interviews this week. One is for the coffee shop at my dad's old church (Its part time and EASY), One is to be an event planner for a Scholastic Book company (sounds kinda up my alley?) and one is for an organization that works with the developmentally disabled (Dungarvin) - the latter of which I am pretty excited about.

Oh, and my mom and I are starting an Etsy shop. So you all better watch out, Strantiques is takin over. :)

5 comments:

rebecca said...

oohh awww Scholastic! They put out some of my favorite books ;)
Strantiques! Love it.

ms. tea said...

copycat. you are totally our competition now, and have a very unfair advantage as you have access to the best thrift stores in the world. you better stay out of roseburg, the salvation army there is my territory!

just kidding, good luck

Bradley Ankrom said...

strantiques....

....anktiques?

Matt Pool said...

Can I do Mantiques? Like old fishing poles and playboys?

Lincoln City Restaurants said...

Hello from a random coastal stranger reading your blog :)
Sealion caves isn't really worth the $10. As cool as it is, it is only interesting for about a minute. Personally, I think watching the sealions on the bayfront in Newport is much more interesting, and free as well!
Coconut Pancakes :) Good choice!