Monday, May 09, 2005

Who's with me?

I am officially moving to Rwanda. Or Sudan. Maybe Somalia. I'd even consider Ethiopia or Kenya.

The point is: all I can think about is Africa.

After watching The Lost Boys of Sudan, Amandla!, and Hotel Rwanda, I can't help but feel a certain uneasiness about my life. I have been given so much and I do so little with it. Granted, I know moving to Africa is a bit unrealistic, so in the meantime I would like to use my resources to help those who can't help themselves. Refugees are of particular interest to me.

So, if you've got any ideas...I'm all ears. (Especially if it has to do with helping Somali/Sudanese refugees in the Los Angeles areas. I have NO clue how to get involved with that, but I'm going to find out.)

"Speak up for those who cannot speak up for themselves, for the rights of those who are destitute." - Proverbs 31:8

9 comments:

ms. tea said...

you can see if there is anyone you can get in touch with at the sudanese embassy http://www.sudanembassy.org/default.asp?page=viewstory&id=219

lindsay anne said...

thanks, myste! I checked it out (didn't see anything obvious, but I emailed them).

Linna said...

count me in....i guess that means i will keep my eyes more open but mostly my heart.

KMOB said...

let me know what turns up fhqwhgads...

ms. tea said...

ohh ohh i found another one. someone on bubbs named "Tegan L. Mickle" is looking for people to either crochet or knit blankets or donate ones already made to help children in Uganda. I'd be down for knitting pieces of a blanket if anyone else wants to chip in. we could make squares lie 6"x6" and then stitch them together. let me know if interested.

lindsay anne said...

I know Erica and Jen are good at knitting (I will go ahead and volunteer them now) and I really need to learn. I even have needles and know the general concepts, so if that's OK -- then I am all in. this is just wonderful!

ms. tea said...

awesome! erica and i have been trying to start a knitting group, now we will actually be motivated by a good cause. i have tons of yarn too. lets figure out a day that is good for everyone to meet up and we can have the first meeting at my place. i'll make the tea!

lindsay anne said...

oh yes. and you know how to make my tea because we're tea buddies!

ms. tea said...

also check out this blog for the coalition for darfur:

http://coalitionfordarfur.blogspot.com/