Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Oregon Thrift Stores

This is an undisputable fact: Oregon thrift stores are by far superior to any other state's thrift stores.

I know, I've shopped thriftily in many states.
And this state takes the cake.

I went to the Goodwill center today where you weigh clothes by the pound (it's the place I got my amazing toaster). It's $1.39 per pound if you buy 20 lbs or less, and goes down to $ .99 per pound if you buy over 20 pounds. I don't usually get 20 lbs of stuff, but they allow you to weigh in with other people, so you always get the cheap rate.

Needless to say, I scored today. Watch out Becca and Linda, your wardrobe has just been tripled. I got 3 pairs of shoes (1 pair black heels, 2 pair summer sandals), 2 aprons, 1 pair workout pants, 1 nightgown, 1 sweatshirt, 1 red vintage bathing suit (AMAZING), 1 leather purse, and 1 book about logging (for the coffee table): ALL FOR $6.

beat that, Californians.
also, Sufjan Stevens next album is about Oregon, so we've got that going for us.

8 comments:

Linna said...

i am soooooo excited.....you dont even know.

Anonymous said...

ahhh...sounds nice, and definitely cheaper than cd'a...but Linda can attest to the Thrift store in Priest River that my church owns...every tuesday I go volunteer and you can keep whatever you want. I have found some amazing things. sorry to rain on your parade.... :)

KMOB said...

just to drop a few highlights from my wardrobe filled with vintage picks from oregon thrifts:

!.) prefectly fitted tweed sportcoat, green 50 cents

2.) un-used green sherrifs jacket with blue fur collar $2, sold for $50 to buffalo exchange in LBC

3.) my first pair of super tight levi's, .25 cents

Do you remember when I said...

My Oregon Thrift:

One dead baby fully clothed - $8.00

4 pairs of ladies' underwear - $.75

A yellow Bus - $19

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about Oregon thrift stores last night, I am strange, I can admit that. And that is a really cool idea to charge by the pound. I have never heard of such a thing and I love it.

ms. tea said...

i concur linds. over christmas i found some pretty amazing steals at the thrift and "pawn" shops in roseburg. my favorite is the salvation army by phil's parents house. the offer merchandise with a different colored tag that is 10 cents. some of the amazing .10 finds i have scored feature: a vintage apron, a super 8 video camera, an avacado green coffee percolator (much like the one featured at matts show on sat), some great costume jewelry, pyrex baking dishes that go for $20-40 in antique stores, and these amazing brown tennis shoes that someone once offered to buy off me for $20.

i'll be in seaside from june 30-july 4th. i hope they have some decent thrift stores there.

rebecca said...

yes!!!!

lindsay anne said...

you know, I have only been to one thrift store in Seaside and it was not that awesome. but there are most likely more...so look hard.