Tuesday, July 05, 2005

not quite a bonanza

I don't know how to write about this weekend, but I will attempt to.

The plan was for Linda and I to go down to Andy's place in San Diego to have 4th of July BBQ Bonanza weekend. Nate, Corban, Amanda, and Katie were all going to be down there as well. It was going to be a grand ole time.

Sunday morning Andy calls. We exchanged a few sentences of small talk. after all, I think he's calling to see what time we're pulling into town.

Instead, he drops this bomb on me: "So, last night, we got jumped."

right, right. sure you did, kiddo. (I say something to this effect)

"No, really. Nathan and Jack are in the hospital. Two guys jumped them with a lead pipe and a cane."

I repeat the words "Oh my gosh" a number of times while Andy relays the rest of the story. The girls are all fine...everyone managed to get away...nothing was stolen...and Nate needs surgery.

Linda and I decide to head down to San Diego anyway and try to function as 'moral support'. We knew our 4th of July weekend wouldn't be the BBQ Bonanza we had planned -- but that was the last of our concerns.

All in all, our weekend was quite mellow. We lounged by the pool, played with Gracie the puppy, visited Nathan in the hospital, BBQed some Hebrew Nationals, and tried to keep spirits up. Thankfully, Jack and Nate are OK. Jack got released the next morning, and Nathan was released yesterday. They each have black eyes, stiches, and bruises galore. Nathan's nose took the brunt of the cane and/or pipe, and he underwent surgery to put it back together. He looks like shit.

It's things like this that I really don't understand. There was no reason for it, no warning. There was nothing my friends could have done differently. Two guys approached them casually and asked for the time. The next thing they knew, they were running for their lives.

So I won't attempt to fill in the blanks or prescribe meaning. I just know that sometimes the world is cold and dark and evil people get away with evil things. but, then, I think about my dear friends and how they are still alive and well - and how positive they've been in this whole experience -- and I am so proud of all of them. really, it's all I can think about. So, here's to you, my friends - you really are shining examples of what a follower of Christ should be.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, that is NUTS. Steve, Phil, and I got jumped on La Mirada once but we didn't get hurt. I haven't seen Nate in for-freaking-ever. Tell him I said hi next time you see him!

lindsay anne said...

I was actually telling Andy (one of the guys in the group that got jumped) about that time when you guys got jumped. it's a crazy freaking world...